About Dr. De Silva M.B.B.S, MD
Dr. Julian De Silva is a leading facial plastic surgeon who specializes only in surgical and non-surgical facial procedures. Dr. De Silva has considerable experience in cosmetic and reconstructive facial surgery from fellowships in London, Los Angeles and New York. He is the one of a handful of elite surgeons to be recognized with British, European and American qualifications, memberships and board certification. Through his dedication and experience operating a private clinic on Harley Street, he has developed rapid-recovery and low downtime procedures to provide natural-looking results.
Dr. De Silva listed as one of the Top 10 Cosmetic Surgeons in the United Kingdom on CertifiedCurious
Dr. De Silva has a formidable track record of accomplishments including the gold medal for research from the Imperial College and an award by the Royal Society of Medicine. In addition he has made a contributions to advanced surgical techniques, laser technology and stitch-less tissue adhesives. He shared his findings in over 30 peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters.
Dr. De Silva was nominated by his peers for “Best Doctor” for his surgical skills. He is certified by the American College of Surgeons and British Royal College Societies. Prior to becoming the Director of Facial Cosmetic Surgery in London, Dr. De Silva worked as consultant surgeon at St. George’s Hospital, a major referral centre for the local London Hospital community. He currently practices in a fully accredited CQC (Care Quality Commission) approved facility and has admitting privileges to several Central London Hospitals. Dr. De Silva has always been determined to be the very best and was selected for the London 2012 Olympics to provide Clinical care to the Completing Athletes and Coaching Staff.
Dr. De Silva was born and raised in London and went to the world renowned London Teaching Hospital, Guy’s, King’s and St. Thomas’s Medical School. He was always passionate about aesthetics and spent his international elective in plastic surgery at the University of California in 1999. He went onto teaching anatomy at Guy’s Hospital, Neurosurgery at King’s College before accepting an ophthalmic surgery registrar post in London, which at this time was the most competitive specialty in medicine and surgery. Dr. De Silva completed ophthalmology specialist training before specialising in Oculo-Facial Plastic surgery.
Dr. De Silva is recognized as an expert on the latest advances in facial cosmetic surgery and is currently lead editor of a super-specialty book that includes major world renowned surgeons in the US and Europe. His philosophy focuses on the use of small incision and fast recovery techniques to give natural looking results, and was the only consultant surgeon in a major London Teaching Hospital to obtain skills in the use of minimally invasive and endoscopic technology, that provide the ultimate in small incision surgery eliminating scars and expediting recovery. Dr. De Silva’s goal is to help his patients look better and feel better about themselves.
By focusing entirely on only facial cosmetic surgery procedures, Dr De Silva is able to provide expertise that can only come with specialization: blepharoplasty, rhinoplasty, lip augmentation, otoplasty, chin implants, Fraxel skin rejuvenation and fillers. Dr. De Silva believes that procedures on the face should be in accordance with harmony and balance which requires artistic interpretation of beauty. He relies on his education and passion of art and sculpting to offer patients unparalleled results.
With over 10-years of surgical experience, Dr. De Silva believes that he can give you the best possible results not just because of his technical innovations and enthusiasm for success, but also because of his artistic understanding of anatomy, obsession with detail and care of patients.
Dr. De Silva he has volunteered his time and contributed to helping less fortunate communities in many areas of the world, including Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa and South America. He has cared and helped individuals that would otherwise have little to no access to such medical care. In his words,
m,m099“Being able to help less fortunate individuals, with potentially life changing treatments is extremely gratifying and a humbling experience”. Dr De Silva continues to actively support many charitable organisations including Changing Faces, Fight for Sight, Unicef and Medical Sans Frontieres.
* Dr. De Silva is the author of www.londonfacialplasticsurgery.co.uk and all content on all pages.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- International Speaker and Surgical Trainer in Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Written several Award winning books on Facial Plastic Surgery
- Awarding Judge at the Aesthetic Awards from 2015
- Voted Best leader by colleagues, Awarded the only Distinction in Masters
- Known for Innovative techniques that deliver Natural Looking Rapid Results
- Nomination by Peers for best Cosmetic Surgeon in 2011-2012-2013
FELLOWSHIP, MEMBERSHIP AND CERTIFICATION
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- American Board of Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Oculofacial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- British Medical Association
- European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery
- European Rhinologic Society
- Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management
- General Medical Council (Specialist Register 4644389)
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
PAST HOSPITAL AFFILIATIONS
- Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York
- University of California Los Angeles
- St. Georges Hospital, London
- Moorfields Hospital, London
- University College London
- Imperial College London
- University of Leeds, Yorkshire
- University of East Anglia, Norfolk
- Charing Cross Hospital, London
- Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, London
- Great Ormond Street Hospital, London
- King’s College London
SPECIALTY TRAINING & FELLOWSHIPS
- Board Certification, Facial Cosmetic Surgery, ABFCS
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship, Montefiore Medical Center, New York
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship, Beverley Hills, Los Angeles
- Oculo-Facial Plastic Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship, Moorfields, London
- Darzi Leadership Fellowship, London
CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION, TEACHING & TRAINING COURSES:
- AAO & American Society of Oculo-Facial Plastic Surgery, New Orleans 2017
- BOPSS Oucloplastics Conference, London 2017
- Rhinoplasty Conference, Milan 2017
- IMCAS Aesthetics Meeting, Paris 2017
- AAO & American Society of Oculo-Facial Plastic Surgery, Chicago 2016
- European Association of Facial Plastic Surgeons, London 2016
- ACE Aesthetics & Exhibition, London 2016
- Anti-Ageing Conference, Monte Carlo 2015
- BAAPS British Plastic Surgery Meeting, London 2015
- London’s Aesthetics ACE Conference 2015
- FACE conference, London 2014
- Written Rhinoplasty fellowship examination questions for US ASOPRS Examination 2014
- 11th International Symposium of Facial Plastic Surgery, New York 2014
- ACE Aesthetics Conference & Exhibition, London 2014
- European Association of Facial Plastic Surgeons June 2013
- British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, London 2013
- 29th Annual Scientific Meeting, American Association of Cosmetic Surgery. Global Innovations & Controversies in Cosmetic Surgery, Las Vegas 2013
- Cosmetic Surgery Review Course, Las Vegas 2013
- American Association of Oculo Facial Plastic and Reconstructive surgery Annual Meeting, Trainer on Course for facelift and rhinoplasty surgery. Chicago 2012
- Vegas Cosmetic Surgery: Rhinoplasty, Face and Neck lifts, Blepharoplasty. International Multi-Speciality Symposium, Las Vegas 2012
- Advances in Facial Reconstruction & Cosmetic Surgery: Hands on Cadaver Workshop. Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York 2012
- Dallas Cosmetic Surgery Symposium. Emerging Role of Fat in Facial Surgery. Southwestern Medical Centre, Dallas 2012
- Dallas Rhinoplasty Symposium. Advances & Controversies in Rhinoplasty. Southwestern Medical Centre, Dallas 2012
- Leadership in Healthcare. Dr. De Silva pioneered the development of an innovational new training programme for young surgeons in leadership skills and the development of high quality medical care. 2010
- Surgeon revalidation. Dr. De Silva was selected to contribute to question writing for the General Medical Council Revalidaton of Surgeons programme.
- The London Eye Course. Dr. De Silva co-established a new training course for young surgeons beginning work in busy London Teaching Hospitals. The course had incredible feedback and was repeated for subsequent years 2008-2010.
- Workshop in Clinical Leadership. Dr. De Silva was held a workshop on leadership skills for the UK Association for the Study of Medical Education 2010
- Training the Trainers Course. Teaching Skills, Feedback & Appraisal, RCO, London 2010
- Endoscopic Brow Elevation. AAO. Chicago 2010
- Training the Trainers Course. RCO, London 2010
- Reconstructive Surgical Skills. Cadaver Dissection. Royal College of Surgeons. London 2010
- Training the Trainers Course. RCO, London 2010
- Darzi Fellowship Leadership Programme, London. 2009-2010
- Facial Reconstruction & 7th nerve palsy 2010
- Rejuvenation of Eyelids & Forehead, Royal College of Surgeons, London 2010
- OculoFacial Plastic Surgical Skills, AAO, San Francisco 2009
- Cosmetic Blepharoplasty, AAO, San Francisco 2009
- Endoscopic transnasal lacrimal surgery, AAO, San Francisco 2009
- Endoscopic forehead and eyebrow lift , AAO San Francisco 2009
- Face and neck lifting, AAO, San Francisco 2009
- Management & Team building, Imperial College London 2008
- Facial rejuvenation, London 2008
- Leadership, Imperial College London 2008
- Ptosis Evaluation, New Orleans 2007
PROFESSIONAL JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
Dr. De Silva is a peer reviewer for several journals including the prestigious American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery. Reviewing the latest innovations in surgical technique and technology requires expertise and diligence, and means he continues to keep his patients up-to-date of any of the newest trends and natural looking results.
- Book Chapter Published: Symptom Orientated Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery, Rhinology & Facial Plastics Jayapee, Chapter 26 Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty), 2017.
- Book Chapter Published: Symptom Orientated Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery, Rhinology & Facial Plastics Jayapee, Chapter 27 Drooping of Eyelids (Blepharoplasty), 2017.
- Completed Rhinoplasty Patient Information Book, 2017.
- Completed Blepharoplasty Patient Information Book, 2016.
- Wrote Facelift Surgery Book Chapter, Assessment for Facelift Surgery, 2016.
- Wrote Facelift Surgery Book Chapter, Volume Augmentation with Fat Transfer & Facial Implants, 2016.
- Published book chapter, Clinics in Plastic Surgery, Volume 42 Issue 1 P 1-146. Lower lid and Face: Multispecialty approach 2015
- ASOPRS Board Examination, Set examination questions for Rhinoplasty 2015.
- Journal Article: Facial Danger Zones: avoiding serious complications in non-surgical filler injections, Published in Aesthetics Journal 2015.
- American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery, Reviewed a Rhinoplasty Journal Manuscript for publication 2015.
- Dr.D.J De Silva completed Book Chapter on Upper Blepharoplasty, Lower Blepharoplasty and Asian Blepharoplasty for a contemporary book on Facial Plastic Surgery for teaching and educating surgeons around the world, 2014.
- Dr. De Silva completed Book Chapter on a specialised eyelid procedure termed Aesthetic Canthal Suspension, used in conjunction with Blepharoplasty for a contemporary book on Advanced Surgical Blepharoplasty Techniques, 2013.
- Dr. De Silva completed Book Chapter on droopy eyelid and ptosis correction for a contemporary book on Facial Plastic Surgery for teaching and educating surgeons around the world, 2013.
- Spontaneous silent sinus syndrome: case series of 16 patients. Babar-Craig H, Kayhanian H, De Silva DJ, Rose GE, Lund VJ. Rhinology. 2011 Aug;49(3):315-7
- Orbital blowout fractures and race. De Silva DJ, Rose GE. Ophth. 2011 Aug;118(8):1677-80
- Intraocular oxygen distribution. Lange CA, Stavrakas P, Luhmann UF, de Silva DJ, Ali RR, Gregor ZJ, Bainbridge JW. American Journal Opht. 2011 Sep;152(3):406-412
- Long-term outcomes. De Silva DJ, Khaw PT, Brookes JL. Journal AAPOS. 2011 Apr;15(2):148-52
- Randomised trial of sequential pretreatment for Nd:YAG laser. De Silva DJ, Day AC, Bunce C, Gazzard G, Foster PJ. British Journal Opht. 2011 Apr 21
- Outcome following surgery for contact lens-induced ptosis. De Silva DJ, Collin JR. Ophthalmic Plastic Reconstructive Surgery. 2011 May-Jun;27(3):186-9
- Eyelid Surgical technique: modified lateral tarsorrhaphy. De Silva DJ, Ramkissoon YD,IsmailAR,BeaconsfieldM. Ophthalmic Plastic Reconstructive Surgery. 2011 May-Jun;27(3):216-8
- A very rare case of bloody tears with enigmatic epistaxis and haematuria. Ho JZ, de Silva J, Olver J. Orbit. 2011 Mar;30(2):116-7
- Hospitals and bottling factories. Improving quality of care. De Silva DJ, Darzi AW. BMJ. 2009 Sep 14
- Schwannoma, lacrimal gland fossa. De Silva DJ,TayE, Rose GE. Orbit. 2009;28(6):433-5
- Predicting visual outcome. De Silva DJ, Kwan A, Bunce C, Bainbridge J. British Journal Opht. 2008 Jul;92(7):954-8
- Skills acquired during training: a cause for concern? De Silva DJ, Ramkissoon YD, Fielder AR. British Journal Opht. 2007 Sep;91(9):1248-9.
- Cyclodiode treatment to Coats’ disease. De Silva DJ, Brookes JL. British Journal Opht. 2007 May;91(5):690-1
- Laser iridotomy. De Silva DJ, Gazzard G, Foster P. Br J Ophthalmol. 2007 Feb;91(2):222-5
- Optic disc size and optic disc-to-fovea distance in preterm and full term infants. De Silva DJ, Cocker KD, Lau G, Clay ST, Fielder AR, Moseley MJ. Invest Ophth Visual Sciences. 2006 Nov;47(11):4683-6
- Ocular Barotrauma. De Silva DJ, R Andrews. British Medical Journal. 2006 Oct;333(7574):926
- Excimer laser survey inUK. Kashani S, De Silva DJ, Maini R. Eye. 2007 Feb;21(2):279-81
- Evaluation of a Z-haptic design toric lens. De Silva DJ, Ramkissoon YD, Bloom PA. Journal Cat Refract Surgery. 2006 Sep;32(9):1492-8
- Masked orbital Abscess in Wegener’s granulomatosis. De Silva DJ, Cole C, Luthert P, Olver JM. Eye. 2007 Feb;21(2):246-8
- Congenital eyelid imbrication syndrome. De Silva DJ, Fielder AR, Ramkissoon YR. Eye. 2006 Sep;20(9):1103-4
- An experimental study on the effect of encircling band procedure on silicone oil emulsification. De Silva DJ,LimKS, Schulenburg WE. British Journal Opht. 2005 Oct;89(10):1348-50
- Bilateral panuveitis in HIV-1 infected patients with CD8 lymphocytosis. De Silva DJ, Obi AA, Mitchell SM. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2005 Jul-Aug;13(4):311-6
- Optic disc and peripheral neovascularization in a young male. De Silva DJ, Khan I, Schulenburg WE. Eye. 2006 Jul;20(7):860-1
- Preoperative assessment of secondary IOL implantation for aphakia. A comparison of 2 techniques. De Silva DJ, Nischal KK, Packard RB. Journal Cat Refractive Surgery. 2005 Jul;31(7):1351-6
- Rat brain serotonin neurones that express neuronal nitric oxide synthase have increased sensitivity to the substituted amphetamine serotonin toxins 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine and p-chloroamphetamine. De Silva DJ, French SJ, Cheung NY, Swinson AK, Bendotti C, Rattray M. Neuroscience. 2005;134(4):1363-1375
- Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (HPMC) facilitates orbital implant insertion. De Silva DJ and Olver JM. Opht Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2005 Jul;21(4):301-2
- Conjunctival squamous cell carcinoma: atypical presentation of HIV. De Silva DJ, Tumuluri K, Joshi N. Clinical Experimental Opht. 2005 Aug;33(4):419-20
- An unusual cause of acute lid swelling. De Silva DJ, Strouthidis NG, Tariq S, Davies N. Eye. 2006 Feb;20(2):271-2
- Rosai-dorfman disease recurrence with bilateral orbital masses following immunosuppressant therapy. De Silva DJ. Joshi N. Orbit. 2005 Mar;24(1):51-3
- A novel technique of harvesting temporalis fascia autografts for correction of recurrent blepharoptosis. Baker RH, De Silva JD,HendersonHW, Kirkpatrick N, Joshi N. Opht Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 2005 Jul;21(4):298-300
- A spheniodal wing meningioma presenting as a subacute subdural haematoma. De Silva DJ, Selway R. British Journal of Neurosurgery. 2004 Feb;18(1):66-67
- An unusual presentation of Breast Carcinoma. Metastatic breast carcinoma presenting as obstructive jaundice secondary to focalized lymphadenopathy. De Silva DJ, AppletonM, Salman AR. Breast Cancer BCO; Vol 5, Issue 1 (Jan) 2002
Channel 5, Ruth Langsford & Eamonn Holmes interview Dr. Julian De Silva about Facial Beauty and customized facial mapping techniques on the Hit TV Show, How to Look A Million Dollars.
Silva, D. J. (2008). Cosmetic surgery industry: Past, present and future success.