Posted by Dr. Julian De Silva | August 15th, 2016
Deciding to have plastic surgery is both exciting and daunting. Choosing the right plastic surgeon can take some time, so it is best to approach the process systematically and arm yourself with as much information as possible. Here are some guidelines to get your started on your search:
● Ask for recommendations. A conversation with your general physician should be a great starting point. Your GP not only can tap into the plastic surgeon network, he or she will likely be familiar with your medical history. Also, ask trusted friends and family if they have had any direct experience with cosmetic surgery. If so, see if they can provide a recommendation.
● Create a short list. Once you have the names of some surgeons, narrow the list down to a few top choices. Besides general qualifications, you may want to consider location, patient reviews, and specialization, for example. Make sure the surgeon has experience relevant to the procedure you are considering.
Prepare For Your Consultation
● Review surgeon qualifications. This is the most basic and important aspect of your search. Find out about the surgeon’s academic background, certifications, specializations, and advanced training.
● Learn about the procedure. The more you know about the procedure you would like to undergo, the better questions you can ask your potential surgeon. The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons provides full details about specific procedures. Be sure you also know where the surgery will be performed. You should feel confident that you will be treated in a state-of-the-art medical facility.
● Prepare questions. Make the most of your surgical consultation by going prepared. Have a list of questions for your potential surgeon. You want to feel 100% confident in the person operating on you.
During Your Consultation
● Ask to see patient photos. A surgeon may be skilled, but may have a different aesthetic than you. The American Board of Plastic Surgery has a great tip: look at the patient results for the procedure and seeking and see if it corresponds with what is attractive to you.
● See how the surgeon communicates. Do not underestimate the quality of your rapport with your surgeon. An ability to communicate with your plastic surgeon can affect outcome.
1.5. How to choose your surgeon for facial cosmetic surgery?
Your facial treatment needs to take into account your unique facial characteristics, the expectations that you are looking to achieve and the artistry to achieve this, unlike body surgery, the results from facial surgery cannot be hidden in the same way. There are a variety of surgeons and organisations that perform cosmetic surgery and the following section provides guidance to help you in selecting the right facial cosmetic surgeon for you.
When choosing your surgeon factors that you should consider include area of specialism, experience, memberships, cost and personal recommendations. Facial cosmetic and plastic surgery is as much art as science, no two faces are identical, facial shape and proportions, ethnicity, body shape are all important considerations for facial plastic surgery.
Choosing your facial cosmetic surgeon is the most important decision in defining both the outcome and safety of the surgery.