Written by Dr. Julian De Silva
Dr. De Silva’s Journal Article for teaching Clinicians on Advanced Facial Anatomy and Non-Surgical Filler Treatments
The use of anti-wrinkle injections and fillers (hyaluronic acid products such as Juvaderm and Restylane) can provide you with a youthful appearance by restoring volume deficiency. Facial ageing is characterised by three main factors, a loss of facial volume, descent of facial soft tissues and skin laxity. With the early symptoms of facial ageing volume soft tissue replacement with fillers can revitalize a youthfulness appearance of the face. Further facial ageing that results in skin laxity of the neck and drooping of the jowls at the jaw line require surgery. Understandably some patients would prefer to have non-surgical treatment if it delays the need for surgery. Some physicians offer only non-surgical treatments, some surgeons offer only surgical solutions, Dr. De Silva is able to offer an impartial opinion that will give you the best result for your face. He is able to used a modified regime of non-surgical or surgical treatments to accentuates the cheek bones and defined jaw line.
What are the advantages of a Non-Surgical facelift?
The benefit of no surgery is rapid recovery of the procedure and minimal risk of the procedure and quick recovery:
- Minor swelling and bruising that fades over 1-2 weeks
- Resume most daily activities same day
- Refrain from exercise for 1 week
- Personalized sculpted rejuvenation to give a natural appearance
Types of Non-Surgical Facelift?
Non-surgical face lift procedures use a combination of non-surgical treatments that are tailored to the individual to achieve their result. Each of these treatment types utilise different technologies and techniques while focusing of a fast recovery and minimal downtime. Treatments include:
- Wrinkle injection to smooth wrinkles on movement
- Combination of different fillers to sculpt, shape and restore volume to the face (Restylane©, Juvaderm©, Radiesse©, Sculptra©)
- Smooth facial lines & wrinkles
- Restore & Rejuvenate appearance (Restylane©, Juvaderm©, Radiesse©, Sculptra©)
- Latest innovation in technology: Longer lasting facial fillers (Voluma©) & Finer facial fillers (Belotero©)
- Latest innovations in techniques: cannula to enhance recovery (no needle technique, DermaSculpt™) Reduces bruising and swelling after treatment.
- Autologous Platelet Rich Plasma fibrocellular matrix (Growth factors, PRP, Selphyl©)
- State-of-Art Laser Resurfacing, fast recovery (Erbium Laser©)
This response from the skin causes an increased production of collagen as well as a remodeling of the existing collagen. The contracting of the underlying tissues of the skin from this process results in a tighter and far more uplifted appearance to the treated areas overall.
Recovery after Non-Surgical Facelift?
The risk, recovery, and downtime with non-surgical face lifts are rarely issues. Pain management, overall, has hardly been an issue. Some procedures do require use of local anesthetics or over the counter pain medication. The downtime for most patients is minimal and usually only a few hours. There is often some temporary swelling, redness, or even skin blanching immediately following a treatment. Rare risks of the treatment include lumps or bumps, redness or pigmentation changes.
When is a Non-Surgical Facelift unsuitable?
Facial ageing that includes descent of the jowls along the jaw line and skin laxity of the neck will have a modest outcome from a non-surgical technique. The name non-surgical facelift is misleading as the technique does not lift the face in the same way as a facelift, it is primarily a volume rejuvenation of the face. Such changes require surgical lifting of the soft tissues and removal of excess skin. The decision whether to have surgery can be a difficult decision and Dr. De Silva will advise you on whether surgery or non-surgical treatment is going to give the best result, that is effective, long-lasting and natural looking.