Written by Dr. Julian De Silva
Blepharoplasty is a common cosmetic procedure that can rejuvenate your appearance. Some patients may be reluctant to undergo surgery, and there has been an evolution of technology termed Non-Surgical Blepharoplasty. This procedure utilises non-surgical techniques to tighten the skin around your eyelids, reducing overhang and droopiness. Dr. De Silva discusses patient’s expectations with this technique as it is limited in that it will tighten skin, however not improve other characteristics of eyelid ageing. Physicians or non-physicians that are not able to offer surgical alternatives may offer non-Surgical Blepharoplasty.
What are the advantages of a Non-Surgical Blepharoplasty?
The benefit of this technique is that it avoids surgery, no surgery is rapid recovery of the procedure and minimal risk of the procedure and quick recovery:
- The most benefit is for patients with relatively mild skin laxity without other signs of facial ageing
- The treatment is faster than surgery and can be completed in less than 30-minutes
- Relatively fast recovery with minor swelling and bruising that fades over 1-2 weeks
- Patient’s are able to resume most daily activities after 1-week, there is however some recovery from these non-surgical techniques
What are the dis-advantages of a Non-Surgical Blepharoplasty?
- The limitation of the technique is that it is solely dependent on tightening the skin, hence other characteristics changes with your eyelids including swelling caused by fat prolapse are not improved by the technique and may look work
- The recovery is 1-2 weeks as the skin will peel and darken and fresher skin will need time to come through. Although described as a non-surgical technique the recovery is similar to upper blepharoplasty. Patient’s are able to resume most daily activities 1-week after Upper Blepharoplasty
- The technique can lead to scarring in the skin and is not appropriate for specific skin types
- The technique does not allow personalised rejuvenation to give a natural appearance as the technique is a standard one tool solution for everyone
- The long-term effects of some non-surgical blepharoplasty techniques are not known, the scars may make future surgery more challenging
What Does Dr. De Silva does differently with Non-Surgical Blepharoplasty?
Dr. De Silva specializes in blepharoplasty, revision blepharoplasty and non-surgical techniques. Dr. De Silva assesses each patient individually and offers advice and treatments that are specific to an individual’s needs. There are some patients who benefit from non-surgical treatments and others who benefit from surgical intervention. Dr. De Silva is able to customize your treatment to achieve your objectives from treatment. For example a patient with mild skin laxity and fair ethnicity is more likely to benefit from a non-surgical blepharoplasty, however if there is fat prolapsing forward this cannot be improved by non-surgical methods alone.
What does Non-Surgical Blepharoplasty involve?
Non-Surgical Blepharoplasty tightens the skin around the eyelids. There are different technologies that have been brand marketed and advertised, all of the technologies act in the same way to stimulate contraction and tighten your skin around the eyelids.Carbon Dioxide laser provide tightening of the skin by inducing by laser precision burns in the skin
- Carbon Dioxide laser provide tightening of the skin by inducing by laser precision burns in the skin
- CO2 laser combined with other laser
- The Plexr (Fusion GT) uses a technology that provides a blended electrical current to create 500 micron small burns in the skin. Although Non-Surgical the procedure does cause visible burns in the skin that does require 1-2week down time fore recovery. Dr. De Silva doe not currently offer this treatment.
For More information on Blepharoplasty: