Minimally Invasive Facial Surgery
Written by Dr. Julian De Silva
What is Minimally Invasive Surgery?
Minimally invasive surgery refers to the use of new and innovative surgical techniques to make smaller incisions in the skin, often just a few millimeters. In the face this can include the use of a 3D telescope to aid visualization of the anatomy to enhance accuracy and safety during surgery. These techniques have revolutionized many surgical fields replacing older surgical techniques with enhanced results and effectiveness. Dr. De Silva trained in the World Renowned centre for minimally invasive techniques in Los Angeles’s Beverley Hills. Minimally invasive facial surgery results in quicker recovery, less downtime, natural looking results and avoid unsightly scars.
What are the Advantages of Minimally Invasive Surgery?
The advantages of minimally invasive facial surgery include:
- More accurate surgery: with facial surgery fractions of millimeter define a good result
- Safer surgery: Enable direct visualization of nerve and vasculature, avoiding trauma to these anatomical structures
- Faster Recovery: Patients that undergo minimally invasive surgery have smaller incisions and cuts in their tissues, as a result their recovery is quicker, the associated bruising and swelling is less than more traditional facial surgery
What are the Disadvantages of Minimally Invasive Surgery?
The disadvantages of minimally invasive facial surgery include:
- Technically challenging: Older surgeons tend to use traditional techniques as learning minimally invasive surgery is challenging and associated with a learning curve
- Expensive Equipment: The use of 3D telescopes, fibreoptics and digital camera equipment is costly
- Decision making: The use of minimally invasive facial surgery requires accurate clinical decision making based on sound understanding of its effectiveness and limitations. Patients with marked laxity of the eyelids or large bulbous nasal tip are not good candidates for such techniques. Such facial features are best treated with open surgery that will result in an enhanced long-term result.
What is Dr. De Silva’s Surgical Philosophy?
Dr. De Silva surgical philosophy is based on giving his patients natural looking results with the highest possible quality of surgical technique and care. On training in London, there were no surgeons who were able to train him in the use of minimally invasive facial surgery for areas including the brow, the nose and the eyes. Dr. De Silva went abroad to the US widely regarded as a World leader in Cosmetic Surgery to acquire these skills. The use of minimally invasive surgical techniques in his patients has led to considerable improvements in results with minimal or no scarring and faster recovery. The use of 3D telescopic technology has been applied to:
- Endoscopic 3D brow lifting
- Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty (Hidden incision inner lining of eyelid)
- Minimally Invasive Eyelid lifting (Modified blepharoplasty/ canthoplasty)
- Endoscopic 3D Nose Re-shaping (No incision rhinoplasty)
- Minimal Access Face Suspension Lift (hidden incision facelift)
- Internal Ptosis repair (Hidden incision elevation of eyelid)
- Follicular Unit Extraction (Completely avoids linear scar)
Dr. De Silva utilizes these minimally invasive techniques in all suitable cases, the primary importance being giving a patient a natural looking and long-lasting result. These techniques are not suitable for all patients and Dr. De Silva will advise you if open surgery if is a better option for you.
Trust your Face to an Expert
Centre for Advanced Facial Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery
Dr. Julian De Silva MBBS MD FACO FACS BSc PGc DIC
23 Harley Street, London W1G 9QN, UK
Phone: 020 8748 2860