Upcoming Rhinoplasty TechniquesJuly 24, 2017
Over the past few decades, rhinoplasty surgery has become increasingly sophisticated. The introduction of new technologies, novel techniques, and complementary minimally-invasive procedures have made it possible to effectively address complex cases. To help refine the nose-sculpting process, as well as reduce recovery time facial plastic surgeons have developed some new approaches. Here are some rhinoplasty techniques that are on the horizon.
Four Specialized Rhinoplasty Techniques
Tip Grafting: Patients frequently visit a plastic surgeon with questions about making changes to the tip of their nose. A special grafting technique that uses nostril-arch grafts can support the tip can help ensure a natural appearance. With the help of internal stitches and cartilage grafts, the tip of the nose can be sculpted and lift to give a flattering appearance from all perspectives.
Cartilage Support grafts: In the past, cartilage reshaping could be imprecise, leading to misshapen results. During your nose job procedure, your surgeon will create support grafts composed of your very own cartilage to support your nose long term. By utilizing pieces of your own cartilage to assess and correct internal contour irregularities, Dr. De Silva can create more symmetrical results.
Ultrasonic Rhinoplasty: Now, your surgeon can slice through bone with extreme and unparallelled precision. This new osteotomy technique is the most advanced and successful to date. It allows your surgeon the ability to cut bone while keeping surrounding tissue and blood vessels safe. This effective and subtle procedure leads to less swelling and bruising following surgery and a quicker healing time.
Cartilage Suturing: Previously, lower nose cartilage was trimmed to correct bulbous features. Now, we know that the nose must be properly approached with a combination of trimming and specialised suturing. This dual technique creates better proportion and a more uniform appearance.
The current changes in rhinoplasty reflect the new potential that scientific advancements and technology can bring to bear on surgical techniques. By staying abreast of the latest advances, Dr. De Silva can develop a more customized approach, improve healing time, and optimize patient results.
Why choose Dr. De Silva for your Rhinoplasty Procedure
At his London office, rhinoplasty specialist Dr. Julian De Silva brings state-of-the-art techniques to his patients. As a cosmetic plastic surgeon who specializes in nasal reconstructive surgery, Dr. De Silva understands the subtleties of nasal anatomy. His years of experience, training and access to the latest equipment have earned him a reputation of being a top London surgeon. Dr. De Silva understands patients are looking to achieve a balanced appearance and is here to help with the newest techniques. If you would like to learn more about our advanced rhinoplasty techniques, please contact our office today.
Miracle Nose Reshaping ToolsJanuary 22, 2016
Nose reshaping tools are being marketed as affordable and non-invasive alternatives to surgery.
One tool consists of flexible splints that can be placed inside the nose to alter the nose’s appearance. The curved-shaped splints create a pressure that holds them in place. Once inserted, they are not visible. This ‘do-it-yourself’ nose altering tool has typically been used for special occasions, but the splints are being promoted for everyday use. Other nose shaping tools, such as clamps that are placed on the exterior, purport to make the nose smaller.
Do Nose Shaping Devices Work?
Every nose is unique and while nose shaping devices claim to improve a range of aesthetic concerns, they may not be effective on everybody. When inserted, nose shaping devices may make the nose look narrower or straighter, but they do not provide a long-standing solution. They are temporary and cannot be used when sleeping, lying down, swimming, or doing any strenuous physical activity.
There is no scientific evidence that clamps are effective.
Alternatives to Nose Reshaping Tools
Non-surgical rhinoplasty (Non-surgical Nose Job) refers to a minimally-invasive procedure in which dermal fillers such as hyaluronic acid fillers (e.g. Restylane) and Radiesse are used to smooth out bumps and other irregularities in the nose. During the a non-surgical rhinoplasty, dermal filler is injected beneath the skin’s surface; supple and easy to manipulate, dermal fillers can be sculpted to give the nose a new contour. No incisions are made and no bone or cartilage is removed during the process. Because a non-surgical rhinoplasty is a temporary solution, it often appeals to those who want to ‘preview’ results before committing to surgery. A non-surgical rhinoplasty has many advantages:
● Fast and painless procedure with few risks (dermal fillers are generally well-tolerated)
● Immediately visible results and no downtime
● No swelling or bruising
● More affordable than cosmetic nose surgery
Rhinoplasty (Cosmetic Nose Surgery), considered the gold standard procedure for the modification and enhancement of the nose, is one of the most popular cosmetic surgeries. During a rhinoplasty, incisions are made and nasal tissue is removed or resculpted in order to reshape the nose. Though a rhinoplasty requires downtime and months to see results, the most patients consider the investment worthwhile. A traditional nose job offers the following advantages:
● Results are permanent
● Can alter and shape size of the nose
● Can address functional and structural problems, such as a deviated septum
Although non-surgical rhinoplasty and traditional rhinoplasty are very different techniques, they can both yield dramatic and natural-looking results. The ideal candidate for both procedures is in general good healthy and has realistic expectations. If you are dissatisfied with the appearance of your nose, it is best to consult a rhinoplasty specialist. A qualified professional can determine the solution that is best for you.
Rhinoplasty in the AutumnJanuary 11, 2016
Rhinoplasty, or cosmetic nose surgery, is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed in the U.K. and U.S. During a rhinoplasty procedure, the size, shape and proportion of the nose can be altered to bring it into greater harmony with the rest of the face. Nose surgery can also be performed to correct a functional issue, such as a deviated nasal septum.
Fall Rhinoplasty Recovery
As the sun-drenched activity of summer begins to fade, autumn can be a popular season to undergo a rhinoplasty. Although fall can quicken the pace of life, the season makes it easier to manage risk factors such as overexposure to sunlight–a hazard that can cause permanent discoloration of post-surgical skin. An autumn surgery also brings some challenges. Here are few things to consider:
● Football season. Sports like football, rugby and cheerleading are autumn staples, but they also can lead to nose injuries. If you plan to have a rhinoplasty in the autumn, it is advised that you sit out some matches. Staying on the bench may be difficult for athletes and active fans, but it is best to avoid sports that increase your risk of an unwanted collision with an arm or football.
● Other sports. Other sports including Skiing and Snowboarding can also be hazardous, helmets are important, as there is always the chance of a blow to the nose from a fall.
● Autumn diet. Treating your body well as your nose heals is key to a speedy recovery. As the temperature starts to dip and the days become shorter, many people start to eat more sugary foods and drinks. Excessive sugar in the system can lead to dehydration and sap energy. After a rhinoplasty, it is recommended that patients drink plenty of water and monitor sugar intake. Spicy foods, also a cool weather favourite, can dilate blood vessels. This can potentially exacerbate swelling and bruising. Adhering to a healthy diet and staying hydrated will facilitate healing after nose surgery.
● Adequate rest. The autumn signals a back-to-school spirit, so it can be difficult for many to take time out of their busy schedules to recuperate. However a couple days of downtime is recommended after a rhinoplasty. You may want to book your surgery before a long weekend, a convenient time bridge for any medical procedure that requires some immediate rest.
A rhinoplasty recovery, more often than not, is complication-free. If you have scheduled a rhinoplasty for the autumn, be sure to factor in your daily activities, commitments and the demands of your autumn lifestyle. A qualified plastic surgeon will be able to plan your surgery and recovery accordingly.
Summer Rhinoplasty: The Do’s & Don’tsSeptember 4, 2015
How popular has nose job become now? Very popular! According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, in 2014 alone, there were more than 200,000 nose reshaping procedures performed which makes it the second most prevalent plastic surgery procedure in United States after breast augmentation. The developments in the plastic surgery industry have enabled surgeons to perform varying levels of rhinoplasties. While some are major surgeries involving a thorough reconstruction of the bones in the nose, others can be very minor, non-invasive, and even non-surgical.
As is the case with any surgery, you need some time to recover and see the full-fledged final results. And rhinoplasty is no different in that sense. However, it is important to mention that with many people being out in the sun during the summer months, the recovery period can cause adverse effects to the final outcome if one is not careful.
This leads us to the question: What are some do’s and don’ts of summer rhinoplasty?
Unlike winter when the sun is shaded by some clouds and the sunlight is dullish, during the summer, the rays of the sun are very strong which can pose some risks to rhinoplasty patients. Having rhinoplasty done during summertime can put a dampener on things if one will be outdoors a lot because the effects of the sun will slow down the recovery rate significantly.
That’s not to say it cannot be done in the summer. Instead, it’s only just a recommendation to have it done in the winter months instead. But if one does decides to go for it during the summer months, then it helps to know what are some precautions one needs to be aware of.
Following are some of the things you need to avoid:
• Direct sunlight – UV rays can damage normal skin, so post-surgery skin is even more sensitive to it. That means getting a tan is something out of the question because it can permanently damaging your skin.
• Wearing glasses – all forms of glasses should be avoided for at least six weeks after rhinoplasty because the nose is still in a delicate state during this time. Thus, any pressure placed on it from the glasses can distort the unset facial tissue and ruin the end result.
• Swimming – swimming should be avoided for about three weeks (or however long the doctor advises) because the impact of the water can distort the nose’s shape before it has had time to set properly.
Now, let’s take a look at some of the things you should apply in your life after a nose reshaping procedure:
• Use a high Sun Protection Factor (SPF) sunscreen – this will help protect your sensitive skin on the nose from burning and causing any adverse effects.
• Wear a hat – this is probably common sense, but wearing a hat can shield your face from harmful sun rays, especially in those searing hot summer days.
Dr. Julian De Silva is an expert in facial cosmetic surgeries, including various forms of rhinoplasties. He can address all your questions and concerns, if you are planning on having a rhinoplasty. His office can be reached through the contact page on this website.